This southern Italian dish made with a shallow-fried sliced filling, layered with cheese and rich tomato sauce, then baked. The addition of the char-grilled aubergine adds an almost meaty texture to this dish making it mouth-wateringly delicious.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 50 Minutes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250g Passata Di Pomodoro
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 large aubergines, cut into long, 4-5mm thick slices
- 85g Parmesan, freshly grated
- 125g mozzarella, sliced
- 20g fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 free range eggs, beaten
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced thinly (optional)
- In a shallow pan, mix together the garlic and 4 tbsp of the olive oil. Cook over a high heat for 3 mins, put in the tomatoes and the pomodoro then simmer for 8 mins, stir every now and then.
- Stir in the tomato purée.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until very hot. Brush the aubergines with a little oil, then add to the pan. Cook on a high heat until well browned and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Turn them halfway through cooking. Lift onto kitchen paper and do the next batch.
- When all the aubergines are cooked, lay a few of them in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, then spoon over some sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan,
- mozzarella and basil leaves.
- Add salt and black pepper, then repeat this process with the remaining ingredients. Finally, pour the beaten eggs over the top, sprinkle over a little more Parmesan, then bake for 20 minutes or until the topping is golden.
- Serve hot, on its own or as an accompaniment.