This deliciously hearty chicken chilli con carne soup is perfect for those autumn days and is packed full of flavour and texture. Ideal for halloween or bonfire night parties, quick and easy to make and won’t break the bank.
Serves: 4-6 people
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tsp’s cumin seeds (roasted)
- 2 tsp’s ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 green chillies (finely chopped) (optional but recommended)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 600ml fresh chicken stock
- 400g tin kidney beans in chilli sauce
- Using a deep saucepan sauté the onion in the olive oil for around 10 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, roasted cumin seeds, ground coriander, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and the finely chopped chillies and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the chicken is chopped up into small pieces.
- Add the chopped chicken thighs and stir to coat in the spices.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes then add the chicken stock.
- Season well and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans in chilli sauce and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
PER SERVING (based on 6) 179kcals, 6.9g fat (2.4g saturated), 21.2g protein, 9g carbs (1.9g sugars), 0.3g salt, 4.2g fibre
- If you want to add a touch of luxury to the dish serve topped with grated cheese and sour cream or simply with rustic french bread.