This wonderful Spanish dish is another firm favourite of mine especially when friends come over and chill in the garden with a few beers. Chilli Con Carne (Spanish pepper with meat) makes a perfect lunch on such occasions. I always make more than needed as it can be used as a delicious baked potato filling with a generous dollop of soured cream or simply poured in amongst some nacho’s and topped with cheese and grilled, perfect for a light lunch!
Either way enjoy with a bottle or three of iced cold ‘Sol’ beer with some lime wedges in the neck.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g quality chopped tinned tomatoes
- 410g can of kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 sweet red pepper, 3-4 cm large dice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garum masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Add oil to pan and cook onions until softened and translucent
- Then add the garlic, sweet red pepper, chilli powder, paprika & cumin blend well and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat then add the beef mince and brown, using a wooden spatula to break down any lumps. Keep stirring and prodding for 5 minutes or until all the mince has browned evenly.
- Crumble beef stock cube into 300 ml hot water, stir and add to the pan
- Add the chopped tinned tomatoes, tomato puree & red chilies, stir well and season with salt & pepper.
- Turn down the heat and simmer open for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the tinned kidney beans and the garum masala turn up the heat until just bubbling for a further 10-15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Serve with plain boiled basmati rice and garnish with fresh coriander
[ad#Google Adsense 468 x 60-2]