Matar Paneer originates from north India but is widely eaten all over. Paneer (cottage cheese) is served with peas in a spicy tomato based sauce, nice on its own or served as a separate course of a meal.
- 250g paneer
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of ginger & garlic paste
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche
- Salt to taste
- Cut up the paneer into cubes and deep fry paneer cubes until golden brown and take them out on a kitchen tissue or towel.
- Then Soak the paneer in hot salted water for about 30 minutes. (this will soften the paneer and add taste)
- Heat oil in a frying pan on a medium heat then add the cumin seeds and when they start to splutter add onion and sauté the onion mixture until they turn golden.
- Add the tomato puree, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder,salt & the red chilli powder. Sauté until tomatoes are cooked and thicken.
- Add some water to loosen if you prefer more gravy, Add the paneer and cooked peas to the tomato gravy and allow to simmer covered for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the creme fraiche and garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- Serve hot with Chapati’s or roti’s and a very cold bottle of Kingfisher indian lager.