This quick and easy chana massala is wonderfully spicy and very nutritious, makes a quick light lunch or supper. Eat on its own or with a few chapati’s and an ice-cold Cobra.
Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 400g Pride jumbo boiled chick peas or similar
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 green chilli’s, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1/2 tsp garam massala
- 1/2 cup of fresh coriander leaf, chopped
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- salt to taste
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- heat the olive oil in a saucepan on a medium hot.
- add the onions, green chilli’s, asafoetida, salt & garlic and cook until clear
- Stir in the turmeric and Madras curry powder then add the tomato puree and tomato ketchup.
- Cook on for about 6 minutes on medium high heat then add the garam massala, stir well and finally throw in the fresh leaf coriander and the lemon juice. You can add a little water if it gets a too dry to loosen it up again.
- Serve on its own or with plain boiled rice and/or chapatis.