This dhal recipe comes from northern Inda and combines split urad dhal with red kidney beans (rajma) which adds a rich meaty feel to the dish and is very tasty served with roti’s or puri’s.
- 1 cup split urad dhal
- 1/3 cup of red kidney beans (rajma)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 inch of ginger, chopped
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1tsp garam massala
- small handful of curry leaves
- 3 tbsp oil
- Wash the dhal and pick any bits out.
- in a saucepan, cover the dhal with water and add 1/2 the tumeric and salt and bring to the boil and simmer on a rolling boil until tender. Add extra water if necessary.
- Heat oil in frying pan and cook cumin seeds until browned.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger & green chillies and cook until onions become translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tumeric, coriander powder & curry leaves
- When the tomato has separated from the oil add the dhal and kidney beans.
- Add the garam massala stir and cook for a further 10 minutes. You can add water or tomato juice to adjust the consistency if you prefer more gravy.
Serve hot with rice or breads such as roti or puri’s